[Asterisk-Dev] Anyone doing QOS routing on Linux for SIP/RTP?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon May 12 19:16:44 MST 2003

As mentioned, if packet loss starts to happen then TCP will back off.
That's the way it's designed.  UDP, however, will continue to stream
at whatever rate your codecs are set.  In the long term, of course,
this makes UDP very un-friendly traffic to co-exist with, and
multiple UDP streams will just continue to hose the network down
until unusable.  However, TCP has the pleasant feature of back-off,
so TCP will just get slower, and slower, and slower but will (within
reason) maintain state and continue to work.

I would strongly suggest picking up a copy of "Internetworking with
TCP/IP" by Douglas Comer.  It is an excellent book for the beginning
network admin, and an even better book for the very advanced network
admin.

JT