[Asterisk-Dev] Anyone doing QOS routing on Linux for SIP/RTP?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon May 12 17:09:25 MST 2003

That's a big can of worms, actually.  You mentioned "Linux" but
didn't specify if you were talking about network routing or process
performance; I'll assume network is the topic about which you're
asking.

The short answer is "VOIP RTP is UDP, which normally pushes TCP
sessions out of the way, so most of the time everything is OK."

The long answer is that you need to look at QOS (Quality Of Service)
and how your particular router vendor implements it.  On the "global"
Internet, you're pretty much out of luck since very few providers
exchange QOS information to ensure end-to-end priority for packets
with TOS (Type Of Service) bits set in their headers.  If this is all
within your own control, you should talk to your router vendor (or
your router technician) and see what they can tell you about how to
implement QOS across your network.

Realistically, it's only on congested networks that QOS is
meaningful, anyway, unless you're doing some freaky
least-cost-routing tricks with your transit providers (at any layer).
If your network is at <70% capacity during peak minutes (it is,
right?) then probably QOS is not going to be necessary.  To give you
an idea: I regularly use a VPN over a cable modem to connect to a SIP
gateway 3500 miles and 130ms away, with zero voice artifacts and no
noticeable quality loss, and this is ALL over the public Internet,
with no QOS implemented.

In my North American-based experience, QOS is overrated.  There are
exceptions, but in many cases the problem can be traced to "poor
network engineering", into which the introduction of QOS will only
throw things further into a meltdown.

JT