[Asterisk-Dev] Re: [Asterisk-Users] TRIP / RFC2871

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Mar 25 13:15:10 MST 2003

>  > I tried getting the Vovida TRIP stack compiled on my RH7.2 system,
>>  and it failed miserably, and instructions are sorely lacking.  It
>>  seems that what the RFC covers would be a great benefit to Asterisk,
>>  considering the exponential problems of branch office gateway
>>  configuration tasks (as one adds more branch offices, it becomes
>>  extremely difficult to figure out where to hand off calls, and there
>>  is no dynamic method to do this in Asterisk as far as I can tell.)
>
>You can do it via IAX/IAX2 remote dialplan polling like this:
>
>[somecontext]
>exten => 911,1,Dial,Zap/g2/${EXTEN} ; Always use local 911
>switch => IAX2/user:pass at myiax.com/context ; Grab other extensions
>
>But that is of course using IAX.
>
>Mark

Does IAX "chain" knowledge of downstream/upstream IAX servers?  In
other words, by connecting to myiax.com, do I now have knowledge of
all IAX servers (and associated numbers) connected to myiax.com?  How
about two levels past that?  Three levels?  If I make a call to one
of those extensions, does my connection go directly to that other IAX
server, or does it pass through myiax.com first?  (Sorry if these are
elemental questions, but I haven't been able to find anything
comprehensive on the IAX2 protocol, the documentation for which I
know you're working on.)

PS: It looks like TRIP can pass IAX calls from my first inspection of
the RFC; it's simply a routing mechanism for numbers-to-IP addresses,
and looks to be protocol independent.  I'll let you know when I get
the Vocal stack running; it seems to be licensed under a fairly open
license scheme and might be able to be integrated into the Asterisk
system if there is an interest.

JT