[Asterisk-Dev] Question about E1 Card / ISDN PRI

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Fri Mar 21 18:12:20 MST 2003

Some answers:
1. ISDN PRI is usually from your telco to you. It's normally used to
replace analog lines. 1 E1 PRI is equivalent to 30 analog lines, so you
can imagine the savings in wiring. But, you can't directly plug a phone
to an E1 PRI, it has to be splitted up using a PBX (like the *).

2. You'll have to use CCS (Common Channel Signaling) or more commonly
known as D-Channel signaling. Excerpts from my zaptel.conf for an E100P:
span=1,0,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4
bchan=1-15
dchan=16
bchan=17-31

The dchan is a must for PRI, it tells the E100P to use channel 16 for
signaling instead of voice. The crc4 option is usually required for E1
PRI, but if check with your telco. I've seen some E1 PRIs supplied
without crc4 (no thanks to DMS100).

3. I don't think S/T or U applies to PRI, it's for BRI. Perhaps someone
else can explain this better.

4. R2MF is an E1 CAS (Channel Associated Signaling), it's like T1
robbed-bit signaling. PRI is CCS.  IIRC, the zaptel supports R2
signaling for China.

Help this helps.