[Asterisk-Dev] TCL for configuration?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jun 22 22:04:24 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 22:27, Reed Wade wrote:
> Call me crazy but does anyone else think TCL scripts might provide a cleaner
> configuration mechanism than the existing config file format?
>
> I haven't been around Asterisk enough to say but it looks to me
> like the config format was devised before something like TCL
> would have been needed--but it's now grown such that a cleaner
> mechanism to provide variables and expressions would be pretty useful.

Why should you script somthing that is mostly lookup???

>From what I know, the current configs where developed as a easy way of
getting the data up from a file and into a C memory structure. From the
code itself the speed of looking up the extension logic must be kept
FAST.

Just would like you to think your idea through a bit more and see if you
could see the way to making at least as feature rich a setup.