[Asterisk-Dev] Distinctive ringing

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jun 20 09:26:37 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 11:15, Jayson Vantuyl wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 12:03:49PM -0700, John Todd wrote:
> > There is a pending patch that Mark has been given (by "km-", whose
> > real name I don't recall) that will add this "distinctive ring"
> > feature to Asterisk, by setting a variable before sending a call to a
> > SIP outbound channel via Dial.
> Is there a similar way to signal a distinictive ring with Zaptel?

I've off and on thought about this, and the comments about how no known
phone right now is RFC compliant. The comments have said that there are
a couple of different ways of signaling the different rings.

This brings me to the idea that could potentially bring the dial command
back to something usable just like the zapata way. Could you not make
ring definitions on a per sip user basis and reference them with a
number just like the way we do with zapata? Maybe in a homogeneous SIP
device environment you could define the distinctive rings in the general
section, but in a heterogeneous environment the ability to set the rings
local to the user/phone would eliminate the problem of the RFC says to
provide a URL, but cisco says an integer is enough.

I'll admit I don't have enough knowledge of how SIP works to do any more
than suggest this to those who may make the changes.