[Asterisk-Dev] better pattern matcher

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Jun 5 23:59:32 MST 2003

This has been discussed before on the list.  Someone correct me if
I'm wrong on this: The issue is that there are no regular expression
libraries that can be used in the way that the Asterisk license is
written.  All of them are licensed such that they cannot be bundled
into a larger package which _optionally_ may not be open-sourced
under the same license as the library.  Asterisk is such a package,
so most other inclusion libraries are not viable.

If you want to write one, and sign over the rights to the software to
Digium, we'd all be thrilled to see it!  A better and more extensible
pattern-match engine is sorely needed.  While you're at it, make sure
it understands alphanumerics as well as just numerics; I'd like to
see * eventually support "real" SIP addresses which incorporate
letters as well as numbers.  :)

JT