[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Voicemail[2]: vm-theperson and digits not played

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Tue Jun 3 07:48:04 MST 2003

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Stephen Davies wrote:

> I've had a problem - I'd say since I started playing with * - where
> announcements aren't always played right.
>
> For example, with: "exten => 6999,1,VoiceMail2(u6999)", I should hear
> "The person at extension 6 9 9 9 is NOT available...." and then a
> beep.
>
> Often I actually hear just the merest blip of the vm-theperson, and
> then the beep.

Hi,

I figured out what was happening here - so let me report back in case
it helps someone else.

When I dial on my ATA186, I terminate dialling using #.

What happens is that sometimes that # is also heard by Asterisk.  It
stays in the buffers and is "read" as soon as the "the person
at" announcement stats, and also serves to terminate the mailbox
number read.

I worked around the problem by Wait(1) before calling
VoiceMailMain.  The "wait" eats up the audio.

I don't really like this fix, but I can't quite decide a better
one.   Perhaps Background() should flush the input - but then you
couldn't "type-ahead" so much.

Do think, though, that VoiceMailMain should reprompt on a "null"
mailbox number, not do a "goodbye".

Steve