[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 call variable passing between servers

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Dec 2 20:35:26 MST 2003

Linus -
   Your method seems to have much broader scope than my somewhat
smaller request.  My comments were specifically referring to adding
user-defined flags in between two different systems (using SIP, IAX2,
and PRI) for use within dialplans.  Your comments seem to be much
more general configuration option requests on each channel type,
which is significantly more work, and completely encompasses my
request.

   I like the idea of using a special application to set channel
specific variables, but again, this would be useful only in the
context of the much larger patches you promote below.

   I imagine that these types of overly sweeping changes will not
happen in the near or mid-term, as it would require significant
re-working of every channel type.  Even if you did come up with the
patches, the chances that Mark would implement them are slim, as
evidenced by many of the much simpler patches/features which languish
in the bugtracker due to the limits of time and brainpower.

   I'd prefer to see the simple additions done first, so that those of
us in larger installations can meaningfully move variables around
without having to resort to some out-of-band database (does this
smell like an SS7 network, anyone?) to get the desired effect, or
using the (aiee!) "language" flag to create a horrific hack to pass
packed variables around.  At the very least, IAX2 seems like a likely
candidate for this extension of variable transmission/reception.

   Your final comments about a clearing cause does seem an obvious
win, and yes, that would be a near-term objective I think for IAX2.
Care to open a feature request on it?

JT