[Asterisk-Dev] thread-safe and reentrant functions

Angel Carpintero acp at e-group.org
Wed Aug 27 11:00:10 MST 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:00:40 -0400
"Gene Kochanowsky" <gene at solutionsciences.com> wrote:

> I would recommend it because it will force you to rigorously architect the application and would make it easier for others to understand Asterisks architecture by just examining the code. Also I think the functionality of Asterisk is a natural for multiple-inheritance. I also think that it would allow you to create classes for threading and thread safe code that was easily maintainable across the entire application from a few classes. It would make porting to other platforms a great deal easier since you could also layer Asterisk. And lastly, I think it would allow you to architect Asterisk to make it a great deal more extensible than it is now. Design by functional decomposition is okay, but doesn't compare to designing with objects.
>
> Gene

  First at all , you didn't answer the question , just jump to another issue beyond the scope of this thread.
  However i'll answer you , as i guess someone did already .

  1-. Asterisk is working , it has some bugs that we would like to fix , it's possible to do it
      we don't need to rewrite it using another lenguaje coz maybe this problem could be fixed
      but newones will appear ... so then we'll change to python ? .

  2-. I don't think that C++ is better than C or Perl ... ( What Color do you prefer ? )

  3-. C it's easy to port at less as C++ it is ;-)

  4 -. About the architecture , there're many *BIG* projects written in C that are at least equal
       or better about the issues you're talking about.

   Finally , i know asterisk just one week ago , and i've tried to fix bugs and make a better and strong
  application ( just contribute to it ) .

  ... come back to thread .

   What do you thing about to fix not reentrant functions on the source code ?

  " Look at the problem and fix it , don't try to jump to another place ".

  Cheers.

Angel Carpintero - angel at e-group.org

ELECTRONIC GROUP INTERACTIVE - www.electronic-group.com
World Trade Center, Moll de BARCELONA