[Asterisk-Dev] thread-safe and reentrant functions

Jared Smith jsmith at drgutah.com
Wed Aug 27 10:06:07 MST 2003

I don't think this is the correct venue for debating the whole C vs C++
thing all over again.

... that being said, I'll add my two cents ...

C and C++ are different tools.  Both have their strengths and their
weaknesses.  (And yes, I've done quite a bit of programming in both
languages.)  In my opinion, it's like saying a hammer is better than a
saw -- they are different tools that each have their strengths and
weaknesses.

In the case of Asterisk, I think it would be a serious mistake to
rewrite the entire application in C++.  Why?  The great people who are
maintaining and writing code for Asterisk (people like Mark Spencer)
obviously prefer C, or they would have written it in C++ to begin with.
Will everyone who is maintaining Asterisk code agree to maintain it in
C++?  I doubt it.  (As a side note, who has the time to rewrite the
entire code base in C++?  Personally, I don't even have time to mow my
lawn, let alone take on a project of that magnitude.)

Anyway, like I said earlier, it's just my two cents (US currency, before
taxes, fees, shipping and handling, etc.)

Jared Smith

If A=B and B=C, then A=C, except where void or prohibited by law.