[Asterisk-Dev] The hardware codec integration

Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP) lwc at roke.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 09:21:43 MST 2003

Hi Folks,
OK, I'll bite. Apologies for the troll food, but...

IMHO, all PSTN (hardware+driver) combinations are a pain - it
seems to be the nature of the beast. One issue for me, in the
UK, on the BT network, is that most of the PSTN stuff works
with Yankee systems, and with anything else if you're lucky.
True for Dialogic/Intel, Quicknet, and just about everyone else.
Thus I didn't expect the X100P to work with Caller Display
Service (CLI) over here, and lo and behold, it doesn't. Hey ho...

The really economical hardware for use with Asterisk is the AVM
Fr!tz ISDN card - with the excellent chan_capi drivers Junghanns
developed, that is the only card/driver/application combination
I have EVER tried that worked out of the box. About EUR50 for a BRI,
with CLIP that works, ...

     BTW, I have a Linejack sat on a Linux box next to me that
     works along with the Fr!tz card, and at home I have a X100P
     (and S100U) that work as well. Both setups work fine for me,
     so your Quicknet problem is not universal.

However, Asterisk is not just a hardware package - it's a
heck of a lot more. Asterisk is a fine (if sometimes slightly
eccentric) piece of software in its own right. It is cost
effective both as a SIP/PSTN/ISDN gateway or as a pure SIP B2BUA,
with VM that just works and does email forwarding. I have no idea
how it works using H.323, but most comments seems to be positive
(so this need not descend into a religious dispute :).

all the best,
   Lawrence

>The only reason for using asterisk is because Digium hardware is very
>ecomonical. But I want to be able to use hardware DSP and quicknet is just
>a proof of concept. I know it can be done, but I want to see the
>fexibility.
>Regards
>
>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Jeremy McNamara wrote:
>  > Quicknet hardware is broken, don't bother.  Support Asterisk, buy
>Digium hardware.
>  > etc...

Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:lwc at roke.co.uk>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.

--
Registered Office: Roke Manor Research Ltd, Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell,
Berkshire. RG12 8FZ

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential to
Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any third party without
permission. This communication is for information only and shall not create or
change any contractual relationship.