[Asterisk-Dev] The hardware codec integration

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Mon Aug 18 20:08:49 MST 2003

Jeremy,

You've made the statement loudly and repeatedly.  What _exactly_ is
"broken"?  What revision did you use to determine this?  Which drivers
were you using?

Are you still torqued you couldn't get the DSP load for free?  Is that
what this is really about?

I, for one, am sick to death of the "strong personalities" infesting
VoIP.  I have yet to get a straight answer from even one of the gurus on
what's right and/or wrong.  I'm not interested in supporting one camp or
another... One product or another... I want to see all this stuff work
together.  Ethernet does... Telephone stuff does.  VoIP seems to be
broken up into little bitty fiefdoms of gurus trying to make sure that
none of the others get's an edge and holding the community hostage.

Quicknet builds a card with a dsp and does G.723 on the card.  From what
I see here, digium does a card that delivers raw audio so that software
can encode it... Is one approach better than another?  It all depends on
the application.  Now, let's get on with with solving problems.  Our
pockets will fill naturally enough.