[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk (less hardware) ported to FreeBSD

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Sat Aug 2 21:22:20 MST 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:47:04PM -0500, Mark Spencer wrote:
> > i managed to tweak and compile 99% of the code with -Wall -Werror.
> > (this is a standard porting method i use).
>
> Yes, I am definitely a HUGE fan of -Wall, although I"ve gotten burned by
> -Werror unfortunately, so against my own personal desires, I took it out
> of Asterisk's build.

i agree, but i like to turn it on once in a while to use as a lint-like
function.

> > the problem here is that asterisk is a "live" system.  a FreeBSD port
> > (in my opinion) should only be based on release tarballs.  there are already
> > enough hairy ports in the FreeBSD tree.
>
> Absolutely.  I'm all for merging your portability changes into Asterisk so
> long as there isn't any performance hit on Linux :)

i'm on a porting blitz, so i've lined up FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and OS X
systems to tweak and compile.  a shell on an appropriate linux (or the
common linux variants) would help me test the patches before submitting,
thus reducing headaches.

i'd need a joe-user shell, with 500 meg available.  the build process i use
is done completely within $HOME and gives $HOME/include, $HOME/lib precidence
when compiling (thus avoiding version skew with what's installed).

this is also part of my portability hacking, as the current source makes
a large number of assumptions on the locations of various things.

> > that should work well enough.  how active are the core on picking up on
> > bugs submitted that way?  ie. what's a "normal" turnaround?
>
> The bug tracker is very new.  We're making an effort at Digium to try to
> focus on getting bugs to come through there in order to make our efforts
> more scalable.  To some degree, the "squeaky wheel" gets the grease, so
> it's best to follow up with your patches, preferably on Freenode IRC in
> #asterisk, where you can find me (kram).

cool.

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim at reptiles.org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          I want to live forever, or die trying.            ]