[Asterisk-Dev] Noisy TDM20

Dave Packham dave.packham at utah.edu
Mon Apr 28 07:09:53 MST 2003

yes.  when I pick up a pots phone connected to the FXS card it has a lot
of static/pop's/hiss on the line even calling voicemail or a local SIP
set.  when I call into the FXO card from outside of my house from my
cell phone or a friends house, I dont hear it as much but I and our
friends still notice it and have remarked about how noisy it is.  I have
to unplug the FXS and FXO card when I leave in the mornings and just
plug the household phones direct into the qwest line,  static gone...
when I make calls to an IAX or SIP connection I still get the sound.  I
have moved card slots. tried different motherbaords.  the original MB
was a dual proc,  very noisy,  now running on a single proc board with
less noise but still not clean.

I have also played with the rx.tx gain and the voices are louder but so
in the noise.  here are some of my configs

[root at firewall2 log]# cat /proc/zaptel/1
Span 1: WCFXO/0 "Wildcard X101P Board 1" RED
        1 WCFXO/0/0 FXSKS
[root at firewall2 log]# cat /proc/zaptel/2
Span 2: WCFXS/0 "Wildcard S400P Prototype Board 1"
        2 WCFXS/0/0 FXOKS
        3 WCFXS/0/1
        4 WCFXS/0/2
        5 WCFXS/0/3

Zaptel Configuration
======================
Channel map:

Channel 01: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
Channel 02: FXO Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)

2 channels configured.

>>> markster at digium.com 4/27/2003 7:06:12 PM >>>
> I have a single line TDM card and its noisy too.  so much that my
> family wont use it.  I have to disconnect it when Im not testing
with
> it.  incoming sound quialty is ok but the outbound line is
unbearable.
> I changed hardware to a faster CPU and some of the noise went away.
> but it still not clear as the FXO lines in my house.  I emailed
> support at digium.com a week ago.  Ill keep you posted what they say.
> Please let me know if you founfd a resoloution..  I do have a DSL
> (with filters) on the same line.  when I unplug the DSL cpe on my
side
> it makes not difference, leave me wondering if it could be the
signal
> that the CO is sending?  anyone else running theses card at home
with
> DSL on the same line?

What do you mean about incoming vs. outbound line?  If you call
something
like voicemail from the FXS side, does it sound poor?

Mark