[Asterisk-Dev] best approach for a new isdn driver mainly for asterisk.. ?!

Andrea Venturi andrea.venturi at tin.it
Thu Apr 24 06:28:18 MST 2003

Steven Critchfield ha scritto:

> With respect to your epia motherboard, they do make boards with a single
> PCI slot. I know mark had a pci riser that turned the PCI card sideways,
> and I'm sure they exist elsewhere. Of course the question really comes
> down to then, what case are you putting it in?
>
> Also, remember you need stability here. I would not trust that level
> board for long term stability.  This quote would worry me for a must
> work system, "The VIA EPIA Mini-ITX mainboard is the ideal platform for
> an almost unlimited variety of Extreme Value PC..." Usually machines in
> this catagory are more to blame than windows for stability problems.
> Don't skimp on quality especially if it will carry customer calls. None
> of this is saying use only Digium hardware, but you do need to step up
> just a hair on the quility chain than the epia board and USB ISDN.

i believe we'll get overall stability if:

- use industrial HW
- no need of extreme performance and dont overclock (and we dont need to)
- no moving parts (and we want to use mobo without disk & fan: via c3
and power supply without fan)
- reliable os & sw: we cant go wrong with gnu/linux and * ;-)
- reliable telco network: ISDN

USB indeed it's not key in this "design" _but_ with, actually, just
single BRI PCI _cheap_ cards on the market [*], we don't see PCI as the
better option (in this design step)

- you need 4 pci slots if you want 4 BRI
- there still no hot-plug upgrade path on pci
- you have to open the case to upgrade

so why not investigate the USB ISDN path?

bye

andrea venturi

[*] this seems the only 4 BRI single PCI card with HFC chipset:

http://www.interquad.com/scripts/iqsys/getPage.asp?page=http://www.interquad.com/systems/products/digi/DataFireQuadMicro.shtml