[Asterisk-Dev] best approach for a new isdn driver mainly for asterisk.. ?!

George Bean gbean at puwaba.com
Tue Apr 22 13:58:42 MST 2003

Q931
> > (the D protocol on the BRI signaling channel in euro-land..): i see
that
> > there's just a different module for the E400P and the E100P..
support
> > this new ISDN card could be just as easy as develop this low-level
> module ?
>
> Nice idea - I'd like to see the same direct zaptel support for the AVM
> Fritz.  Or, I guess a BRI card from Digium with zaptel support.
>
> I'm willing to try to do AVM Fritz support.  If I understand right
> that gives me zaptel's echo supression etc that's missing when using
> the Fritz card via CAPI?
>
> Steve

If you are considering the development of Asterisk specific software for
ISDN BRI support, you should give serious consideration to using a card
with the HFC chipset. My past research on ISDN chipsets yielded only the
HFC chip that was capable of both TA (terminal device) and NT (access
switch switch) emulation. The ability to act as an NT device would allow
equipment such as ISDN desksets and video conferencing systems to be
connected to Asterisk. As far as I can tell, cards with the HFC chipset
have only been offered in Europe due to the absence of drivers for North
American telephone switch protocols. If a card with the HFC chipset
could be integrated into Asterisk, perhaps Digium could import the cards
for US users.

I haven't been able to determine which chip(set) the Fritz card uses.
When your cards arrive, I would appreciate it if you can take a moment
to examine the chipset and post the information to this list. So many
people have brought up the Fritz cards recently; it would be nice to
know what chipset they use.

Regards,
George Bean
Puwaba Technologies