[Asterisk-Dev] best approach for a new isdn driver mainly for asterisk.. ?!

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Apr 22 08:20:09 MST 2003

Quick question, Have you had good experience with USB devices under
linux that push fair amounts of data? I ask this since I haven't. This
list also shows that the USB stuff Mark has already been working with
seems to be finicky about which chipset is under it. I suggest you
double think the use of USB as a server level technology.

Don't take what I said before as a dismissal of your ideas, just a worry
that you would end up with a lot of time invested in a product that may
not be very stable due to parts outside of your project.

I do like the idea of seeing if the current ISDN adapters could be made
to be more of a raw device and then link the libpri functions in a
modified form for BRI to those devices. At that point a zap like
interface to ISDN hardware should be easy. Who kows, maybe we could get
to the point of supporting ISDN handsets which should be better than
ADSI.