[Asterisk-Dev] FAX Subsystem discussion.

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Apr 17 08:29:29 MST 2003

Which sort of application are people most interested in ?

1) a private fax network where you control both ends of the system ?
2) a gateway in/out of your lan to the pstn for faxing ?

To me at least these are 2 totally different animals.

1) requires some sort of ip protocol and 2 foip endpoints
2) requires a software faxmodem driver for hylafax.

I think 1) is far simpler to solve than 2).

for 1), something as simple as the good old ftp protocol could be used to
exchange files of a predefined type (pdf, tiff, g3, etc) over an ip channel
between two drivers of hylafax. Using LCR algorithms in hylafax, this
driver could be selected for communicating with other stations of the same
type. (this could be a store and forward setup as well, where the far end
foip station is not the final destination of the fax.)

for 2) we actually need the dsp stuff.