[Asterisk-Dev] Re: PATCH: Ability to override "From" for calls to a peer, also fix inaddrcmp sense

James Dennis asterisk at jdennis.net
Wed Apr 9 10:29:10 MST 2003

> Firstly - "callerid" is an attribute for a user, not a peer.

Yes logically it does seem more correct to specify an outgoing callerid for
a peer entry. But setting it via SetCallerID does work.

> Secondly - "fromdomain" can only really be used for "synonyms" for the
Asterisk machine.  This is because the
> port part of the generated URI is left the same.

> IE, imagine Asterisk running on port 5062. When calling a peer with
fromdomain=packet8.net, Asterisk will make
> a URI <sip:asterisk at fwd.pulver.com:5062>  Which isn't the desired effect.

Hmm, this would indeed be a bug. The fromdomain entry should include the
port, eg: "fromdomain=fwd.pulver.com" or "fromdomain=fwd.pulver.com:5062".

> I wasn't sure why fromdomain= was added so didn't just want to change its
behaviour.

Fromdomain was added to resolve the same issue as you are trying to do.

>And adding callerid as an attribute for a peer causes trouble for
"type=friend" - the same callerid doesn't
>make sense as the call origin for both inbound and outbound calls.

Perhaps outgoingcallerid=?

James