[Asterisk-Dev] Hangup detection alternatives

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Mon Apr 7 16:47:46 MST 2003

As the SIP stack gets cleaned up and asterisk is more and more able to
handle the relatively complex dial plans I am trying to develop, the
issue of prompt and reliable hangup detection comes more and more to the
fore.

I have no background in telephony, and I'd like to ask those who have
about what sort of alternatives might be possible?

Could one fashion some kind of quick-and-dirty circuit that mimics the
way my answering machine (correctly) detects hangups and "non messages
after the bee" and then somehow send a hardware signal to an X100P port?

Right now I use busydetect on the Vonage lines which while not snappy is
adequate; I have yet to find anything except hardwired timeouts that
work on my PSTN lines.

As all the pieces start to come together, the hangup stuff becomes a
last remaining major obstacle to be overcome.

Thanks for any wisdom that might be out there. . .

B.