No subject

Fri Sep 2 03:59:05 CDT 2011

open-ended), it might be possible to simply run "install_amp" with little or
no modification.  Upgrades shouldn't be too much of an issue either.

Of course this less ideal that a true port, but given the realities of
FreePBX and the ports system difficulties perhaps it's more viable.  Just a
suggestion.

--
Adam Vande More

--00151750e42ad79b2804afb26558

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marquis at roble.com">marquis at roble.com=
:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

This is a good solution for those who don&#39;t mind binary distributions<b=
r>
using defaults chosen by the package developers (whether deb or rpm).<br>
Unfortunately, this means a lot of unnecessary dependencies, a lot of<br>
unused code, and reduced security and performance.<br>
Obviously not an issue for those who use Linux distributions by default,<br=

they do offer many other advantages over FreeBSD. =A0But for those who use<=
br>
FreeBSD for it&#39;s maintainability a Linux jail or jail image is not the<=
br>
ple things.=A0 First, I completely disagree that this approach would result=
 in decreased security.=A0 I believe the opposite is true.=A0 Second, the s=
peed impact would be negligible for all but the most intense environments w=
ith the possible exception of network latency/throughput(A jail would still=
 be better at this than a full VM).=A0 There&#39;s nothing saying this coul=
dn&#39;t be a VIMAGE enabled jail which should largely alleviate that poten=
tial issue as well.=A0 Using Linux compatibility might also result in even =
faster application:=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=3Da=
rticle&amp;item=3Dlinux_games_bsd&amp;num=3D1">http://www.phoronix.com/scan=
.php?page=3Darticle&amp;item=3Dlinux_games_bsd&amp;num=3D1</a> -- perhaps t=
he only time I&#39;ll ever cite a Phoronix article.<br>
eed to utilize Linux compatibility layer, just an Linux-like filesystem hie=
rarchy.=A0 With some mods to PORT vars in the jail you&#39;d have a complet=
ely source based native install of all the prerequisites in paths FreePBX i=
s designed for.=A0 From there(and this is a real weakness in my suggest bec=
ause it&#39;s open-ended), it might be possible to simply run &quot;install=
_amp&quot; with little or no modification.=A0 Upgrades shouldn&#39;t be too=
 much of an issue either.<br>
FreePBX and the ports system difficulties perhaps it&#39;s more viable.=A0 =

--00151750e42ad79b2804afb26558--