[Asterisk-bsd] Asterisk on BSD

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Thu Oct 14 14:54:24 CDT 2010

> Just wanted to say thank you to Max and others for all his hard
> work porting and maintaining the BSD port of Asterisk.
>
> We replaced a very unstable Debian PBX with FreeBSD against everyones
> advice some time ago and it's been rock solid:
>
> pbx*CLI> core show uptime
> System uptime: 5 weeks, 16 hours, 8 minutes, 56 seconds
> Last reload: 5 days, 17 hours, 35 minutes, 14 seconds
> pbx*CLI> core show channels
> 14 active channels
> 7 active calls
> 63240 calls processed

One word about uptime, you'll want to reboot the server and/or jail at
least every couple of years.  Rebooting allows you to update the kernel
and is really the only way to QA production rc changes.  That said we
have gone more than 2 years between reboots of servers running multiple
jailed asterisk servers and other apps without issue (using Supermicro,
AMD, and SCSI h/w with SIP and IAX trunks).

Roger Marquis