[Asterisk-bsd] OSLEC on FreeBSD 8.1 w/ DAHDI

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 05:38:04 CDT 2010

From: Ian FREISLICH <ianf at clue.co.za>
To: Asterisk on BSD discussion <asterisk-bsd at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Sat, August 7, 2010 4:47:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-bsd] OSLEC on FreeBSD 8.1 w/ DAHDI

"Kurt J. Lidl" wrote:
> Has anybody gotten this to work?
>
> I'm contemplating buying hardware to interface to the PSTN,
> and of course, the boards without hardware echo cancellation
> are far cheaper than those with hardware echo cancellation.
> If I don't buy something with hardware echo cancellation,
> I'd like to know that the OSLEC software was working, or
> at least close to it.
>
> There was some discussion about this back in Sept 2009,
> but I never saw a real resolution to the problem.  Also,
> that discussion was saying that it was only going to work
> on amd64 based machines (whereas I have i386) and I'm
> running 8.1, not 9-CURRENT.

You have it the wrong way around.  OSLEC "works" FSVO works on i386,
but not amd64.  The reason it compiles on i386 is that floating
point math while banned from the kernel isn't specifically excluded
by compiler flags like it is in amd64.

That said, if you use OLSEC on i386, expect user space floating
point corruption by the kernel because FP state is not saved on
kernel entry.  So, while calls are in progress OSLEC will stomp all
over user process FP math.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich

What's such a drag about this is that several years ago I had an
X101P pci card working with my Asterisk server and it sent
and received calls through my PSTN service without any
troubles at all. There was no echo problems and it really,
really worked, all with a card which only costs $15.

But alas, some wiseguys took out the FXO module in
zaptel port. I tried different things including loading Linux
Fedora and DAHDI. That worked but it echoed like
crazy with PSTN calls. By then the cable company was
offering full VOIP service for only $19 per month. My
Asterisk server has now being used as a VOIP server
with a provider so my wife can call her family in Brazil.
And I'm running that on a server which does not have an
old PCI slot for the X101P card I still have. That's progress
for you.