[Asterisk-bsd] FreeBSD DAHDI port

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 11 08:57:29 CDT 2009

Thanks Max for this update. My problem is that since around last spring I cannot do anything with Asterisk except keep my old version 1.4.x with zaptel-1.4.x. Somewhere along the way the wcfxo drivers were removed and my X101P analog card will no longer work with the new Asterisk port from FreeBSD. I was able to use this system if I loaded linux but not with FreeBSD. I'm sure there are those who could make it work, but I never had any luck installling Asterisk from source on a FreeBSD box. Not being a real FreeBSD tech I have no idea of how to tweak the Makefiles or understand which libraries had to be linked, etc...but mostly installing from source, for me at least, means breaking the FreeBSD filesystem standards, because like I said, tweaking Makefiles is something I know very little about.

In the meantime, my ISP, Comcast has offered full VOIP phone with unlimited local and long-distance service for only $19.95 per month. Once they installed this I had a new voicemail service which basically made my Asterisk server obsolete, for my uses anyway. A small company I am working with has asked me this morning to help them with their VOIP service. I will of course recommend Asterisk but due to the unreliable support offered on FreeBSD I will have to insist they use Linux.