[Asterisk-bsd] Zaptel Not Working After Upgrading OS

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 05:13:44 CDT 2009

Thanks everyone for the information but installing Asterisk with Zaptel-1.4.6 did not work. I had nothing as far as useability with it. The older zaptel port installed and I saw the entries in dmesg that the X101P Wildcard was found and configured. zttool also worked, but Asterisk left loads off the table.For starters, it seems that Asterisk-1.4.23.1 has a very different CLI. I tried to use STOP NOW and that did nothing but present an unknown command error. None of the typical commands worked. CORE SHOW DIALPLAN did not work so I couldn't even check to see if the extensions were in. And when I tried dialing out, nothing.When I originally built this drive with 7.1-RELEASE and the latest ports, Asterisk worked fine, at least as far as I know. My internal extensions were working and I listened to some MOH. But when I tried to use the outside PSTN line through the Zaptel device, no go. This is when I discovered that the wctfxo module was no longer included
 with zaptel.The trouble with this is it will bring my long tested project with Asterisk to a halt. If moving forward with Asterisk means I have to go out and buy a $400 Digium or Sagnoma card then what's the purpose. And with all the difficulties in using FreeBSD and Asterisk, I might as well switch over to Linux and be done with it.The real trouble with Asterisk on FreeBSD is that Asterisk was written to run on Linux and the folks at Digium have no desire to support anything else. People like myself with no real experience at working with Makefiles and hacking code are dependent on the ports to install an application. And now the port for Asterisk has taken a very different turn and one that has backed me into a corner as far as Asterisk goes.