[Asterisk-bsd] Asterisk Security Questions

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Fri Oct 10 21:31:04 CDT 2008

On 05/10/2008, at 10:13 AM, Frank Griffith wrote:

> 1. How do they seem to zero in on the one valid user account that is
> present on my server?

Could it be that Asterisk returns a different error code for 'account
not found' to 'password invalid'. If so, you should raise a bug report
with the main Asterisk development. The login process should not leak
this information to the outside world.

> 2. Is asterisk really that insecure?
>
> 3. My asterisk server is behind my firewall and I do port forwarding
> to allow access from outside users, like me from my office. I guess
> I'm going to have to lock down the asterisk ports only from certain
> IP addresses but that will limit my use when I'm traveling.

Or else, set up a VPN tunnel in your firewall so that you can use that
when travelling. Then if you implement RSA keys for your VPN
authentication you are not dependent on a shared key for security.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001