[Asterisk-bsd] Increasing delay in Meetme with ztdummy

Nicolas Blais nicblais at clkroot.net
Sun Mar 2 03:38:14 CST 2008

>> Hi,
>>
>> I checked channel.c and the patch from
>> (http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-bsd/2007-July/002797.html)
>> was
>> correctly applied, both hunks. Asterisk was compiled from a clean build
>> thereafter with everything in order.
>>
>> I also confirmed that the "fixed" ztdummy.ko is also in and running.
>>
>> Is there anything else I can check?
>
>    The patch to channel.c was written originally for Asterisk 1.2.x. I
> would think it would be compatible with 1.4.x, but perhaps not. It is
> supposed to limit the queue depth on input frames to 3 or so to
> prevent a large latency from developing.
>    The replacement ztdummy changes the way that timing is done to use
> the time of day clock instead of the interval clock, and has the affect
> of keeping timing in sync with other VoIP peers and the PSTN.
>    It might be helpful if you described your specific setup (phones,
> server hardware, PSTN connection, etc). Assuming that you haven't made
> any mistakes on the Asterisk end, the problem sounds like it might be
> with external devices that you're using.
>
> -DG
>
> Dr. David G. Lawrence
> President
> Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
> The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
> Pave the road of life with opportunities.

I am using Cisco 7940 phones and the X-lite softphones. Both exhibit the
same behavior (the delay starts out correct, and grows longer until it
reaches about 3 seconds).

This is a sample sip.conf entry for my 7940s and for X-Lite:

[4120] ;(7940)
type = friend
callwaiting = yes
cid_number = 4120
context = numberplan-custom-1
email = NONE
fullname = CONF RM
hasvoicemail = yes
host = dynamic
mailbox = 4120
secret = 4120
vmsecret = 1234

[4220] ;(X-Lite)
type = friend
callwaiting = yes
cid_number = 4220
context = numberplan-custom-1
email = NONE
fullname = CONF RM
hasvoicemail = yes
host = dynamic
mailbox = 4220
secret = 4220
vmsecret = 1234
disallow = all
allow = ilbc
allow = gsm
allow = ulaw
allow = alaw

I have left everything in zapata.conf default (nothing added or removed)
and zaptel.conf only has:
loadzone = us
defaultzone = us

My setup is pretty simple, all I got are Cisco 7940/X-Lite phones that
work very well together, and ztdummy for MeetMe.

Thanks,
Nicolas.