[Asterisk-bsd] so here is my question for the masses

Oliver Schneider os at kobo.de
Thu Feb 14 07:21:23 CST 2008

Hello Richard and others...

Also schrieb Frank Griffith am Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 04:37:53AM -0800:

> Aristedes Maniatis <ari at ish.com.au> wrote:
> On 03/02/2008, at 9:42 AM, Richard Neese wrote:
>
>>> Do you all think that my daemonswitch project is worth the time.
>>> will it get
>>> used or is it just a waste of time and effort ?
>>>
>>> I need input. I dont hear any feed back of anyone testing it. I need
>>> know ...

I guess the typical daemonswitch user is _NOT_ on this mailinglist.
That's the main point, you must announce it on the VoIP *sigh* browser
based boards. There should be much more people, who are looking for
all-in-cd with Asterisk. You should use an own automatic install cd, I
think I will supply one soon, as it is almost the same procedure as for
an network installation (where I need it).

I think where is also a system command possiple (wget and install.sh)

> Open source projects are hard work. They often take many years of
> effort to achieve critical momentum and only then if the project
> actually solves a real need. Your project may well solve a problem for
> some people, but if I can suggest:
>
> * there is no obvious place to download anything from your site
> * many of the links don't go anywhere
> * you explain what it isn't (bloated Linux distribution) but don't
> explain what it is
> * you don't give people any reason to download it (is it easier than
> "portinstall asterisk"?, what do you package that is really nice and
> of benefit to people?)
> * Most people who want to download an integrated OS/Asterisk package
> would not be Unix gurus and therefore want something widely supported:
> why would they not choose Linux?
>
> If you think this solves a problem for people, then keep at it.
> Eventually it will be noticed and used. But be very clear about what
> problem it solves. Finally, don't expect any help: open source rarely
> works like that. If you get some, then great. But your project needs
> to be viable without it. Look at the millions of abandoned projects on
> sourceforge: some were probably quite good. If it solves a project
> *for you* then keep at it.
>
> Finally, you appear to often want feedback or kudos from this list. I
> don't know what you are working on to get that feedback; I mean you
> might have done a range of terrific things for Asterisk, but I don't
> think many people here know what they are, or why they should be
> interested in your knee injury. I mean, we all hope you get better,
> but perhaps you could be more specific about the implications for the
> FreeBSD Asterisk community with what you are working on.
>
>> Ari has some valid points here. I too faced these kinds of issues
>> when I developed software...and I guess that might be why I no longer
>> develop software. I could spend 100 hours on something only to find
>> the users totally indifferent to the new enhancements or worse,
>> asking for more changes and critizing my work to the bosses.
>>
>> Still, we should all remember that lots of people told the Wright
>> Brothers they would never succeed in their line of work either.
>>
>> As for my feedback, Asterisk is a very powerful and cool piece of
>> software. I've tried to sell the idea to my co-workers but they are
>> all too busy earning a living to want to switch from the present
>> phone system. Even if I could squeeze the $1,000 or so to build a
>> server with a Digium card, we'd still have to buy new IP phones for
>> everyone and they just don't see the benefit in that. It brings to
>> mind a few years back when at their suggestion, I built us a HylaFax
>> server only to find that each day everyone was still printing pieces
>> of paper and manually faxing on the old fax machine.
>>
>> You can lead a horse to the water...but if he's not thirsty he won't drink.

Finally, I am sorry I must say it again, in Western Europe you must have
ISDN support in your system. Do you know where Matthias project of an
FreeBSD install cd incl i4b is?

I wish some people would quote better...

Oliver