[Asterisk-bsd] so here is my question for the masses

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Sun Feb 3 01:24:02 CST 2008

On 03/02/2008, at 9:42 AM, Richard Neese wrote:

> Do you all think that my daemonswitch project is worth the time.
> will it get
> used or is it just a waste of time and effort ?
>
> I need input. I dont hear any feed back of anyone testing it. I need
> know ...

Open source projects are hard work. They often take many years of
effort to achieve critical momentum and only then if the project
actually solves a real need. Your project may well solve a problem for
some people, but if I can suggest:

* there is no obvious place to download anything from your site
* many of the links don't go anywhere
* you explain what it isn't (bloated Linux distribution) but don't
explain what it is
* you don't give people any reason to download it (is it easier than
"portinstall asterisk"?, what do you package that is really nice and
of benefit to people?)
* Most people who want to download an integrated OS/Asterisk package
would not be Unix gurus and therefore want something widely supported:
why would they not choose Linux?

If you think this solves a problem for people, then keep at it.
Eventually it will be noticed and used. But be very clear about what
problem it solves. Finally, don't expect any help: open source rarely
works like that. If you get some, then great. But your project needs
to be viable without it. Look at the millions of abandoned projects on
sourceforge: some were probably quite good. If it solves a project
*for you* then keep at it.

Finally, you appear to often want feedback or kudos from this list. I
don't know what you are working on to get that feedback; I mean you
might have done a range of terrific things for Asterisk, but I don't
think many people here know what they are, or why they should be
interested in your knee injury. I mean, we all hope you get better,
but perhaps you could be more specific about the implications for the
FreeBSD Asterisk community with what you are working on.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001