[Asterisk-bsd] g729 for Asterisk 1.4.1 on FreeBSD 6.2

Ryan Lackey ryan at venona.com
Wed Mar 14 07:21:08 MST 2007

Yes, I specifically meant g729 binaries for amd64 machines, supporting
transcoding on a per-channel licensed basis.

I've been running g729-only using amd64 on freebsd with 1.4.1, relying on my
hardphones, etc. for g729 support, but that's in no-transcoding mode, which
makes it impossible to do N to N conferencing, etc.  Plus, no linux
softphone supports g.729 now, so testing is a bit harder (thekompany's
tkPhone sort of does, but the phone app is horrible and barely maintained)

I'm going to have a party in 2014 or 2015 when the patents run out.  (or
earlier if AMD or Intel decided to pay $0.01/cpu to license g729 on their
own CPUs for general purpose implementations, or something like that)

Quoting Javier Henderson <javier at kjsl.com>:

> On Mar 14, 2007, at 3:29 AM, Ryan Lackey wrote:
>
> >I hope they'll support AMD64 as well.  With core2duo, opteron, and
> >the new xeons, I think a lot of high-end freebsd people will be
> >running
> >amd64.
>
> I'm running 1.4.1 on an amd64 machine, actually. Or are you referring
> to Digium releasing g729 binaries built on amd64 machines?
>
> -jav

Ryan Lackey [RL960-RIPE AS24812]  ryan at venona.com    +1 212 372 7595
OpenPGP DH 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B   DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F