[Asterisk-bsd] g729 for Asterisk 1.4.1 on FreeBSD 6.2

Ryan Lackey ryan at venona.com
Wed Mar 14 00:29:27 MST 2007

I hope they'll support AMD64 as well.  With core2duo, opteron, and
the new xeons, I think a lot of high-end freebsd people will be running
amd64.

I've got a dedicated i386 freebsd box now running 1.2 just to handle
my transcoding, which is kind of sad.

(I wonder if we'll still be using g729 as a telephony codec by the time
the patents expire....2011?  It's not a single patent, it's a bunch
of related ones, but I think someone said an interoperable implementation
could be done with just a couple of them)

Quoting Jeremy Bogan <jeremy at voicebox.net.au>:
> >One of my SIP peers has very limited bandwidth, so we wanted to
> >experiment with using g729, but so far I've been unable to find a
> >g729 build for current versions of Asterisk and FreeBSD.
>
> You can use G729 in pass through mode. I've been going back and
> forward with Digium about the G729 module for FreeBSD and Asterisk
> 1.4. I've been told it'll happen soon, likely this week (I hope).
>
> --
> Jeremy Bogan
> VoiceBox Communications
> [ jeremy at voicebox.net.au ]

Ryan Lackey [RL960-RIPE AS24812]  ryan at venona.com    +1 212 372 7595
OpenPGP DH 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B   DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F