[Asterisk-bsd] Unable to compile Asterisk-addons on Openbsd 4.1

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Fri Aug 17 05:27:23 CDT 2007

On 2007/08/16 20:45, Michael Grigoni wrote:
> I would like to echo the sentiment of a recent previous poster that this
> list is named 'asterisk-bsd' and not 'asterisk-freebsd'; I am disappointed
> for the lack of participation by openbsd developers and saddened by
> lack of interest when I tried (some years ago) to mount a porting effort
> for the IXJ driver (or any analog station hardware driver).

zaptel support is hampered by the architectural choices - the kernel
parts aren't just simple device drivers, which could be included (a bit)
more easily, but they deal with various non-hardware-specific things,
e.g. echo cancellation and application-specific timers, which I don't
think really belong in the kernel. I haven't heard any claims of
code audit for zaptel and it doesn't exactly make for easy reading,
I'm quite happy that I don't need it very often.

I'm not familiar with the quicknet devices (and they doesn't seem to
be too widely available now unless I'm mistaken?) - they look like they
would probably be an easier target, but still a lot of work (and I've
got a feeling people would just whine for zaptel if that went in).

Someone should build some nice cheap USB FXO/FXS devices, ideally
with (at least the option of) built-in G.729, and a chan_* driver
using libusb for portability. Then put a bunch together in 1U 19"
cases for the 'business edition' :-)

Hmm, or even something as simple as an iaxy with some half-decent
usb<>ethernet in front (the realtek ones are ok), all powered from
USB to avoid the horrible mess of cables ...

> With the lack of telephony hardware support for obsd, and poor
> support for the IXJ driver in freebsd, I was forced to run linux.

Where I can't use the OS I'd prefer to use for an application,
if I can't find an alternative app I'll try and use some OS close
to that used by the app's developers in the hope of it reducing
the chance of incompatibility.