[Asterisk-bsd] * Not working after upgrade

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 08:51:19 MST 2006

Kim Culhan <w8hdkim at gmail.com> wrote:  On Tue, October 10, 2006 23:45, Frank Griffith wrote:
>> Kim Culhan wrote: On Mon, October 9, 2006 19:07,
> Frank Griffith wrote:

>> If this doesn't work it would probably be best to do a fresh
>> installation of FBSD and take it from there.

> This is what sucks about Windows. And it's hard to believe I had to
> resort to such tactics to clear the cobwebs with FreeBSD.

In the case of Windows its not unusual for settings to be made in the registry
by installed programs with no 'easy way' to trace their location or the registry
values which were set.

This is not the case with FreeBSD.

The fact there were files in /usr/local/lib/asterisk/modules left over from
the first installation attempt is a design 'feature' of the Asterisk
build system
and not something related to the FreeBSD operating system or the Asterisk port.

When the Asterisk port is installed, there are not many places where
files are written so 'clearing cobwebs' can be fairly easilly done
when the 'webs
are known to be coming from the Asterisk port itself.

If you read the archives of this list, I think you will agree that in
most cases when
things don't seem to be working the way they should, the cause has been
traced to factors other than a defective port or a flaw in FreeBSD.

-kim

That's all true...but what else is also true was all I did was this:

  portsnap fetch ; portsnap extract

  cd /usr/ports/net/asterisk
  make deinstall
  make install clean

  Things went pretty much downhill from there. But thanks to everyone who offered advice. And I now have the latest version of FreeBSD-RELEASE on my system.