[Asterisk-bsd] Asterisk 1.4.0-beta3 on FreeBSD-6.1

Jonathan Towne jtowne at slic.com
Thu Nov 30 10:33:41 MST 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 04:43:17PM +0100, Olle E Johansson scribbled:
# The FreeBSD support needs nothing special.
# - Unpack
# - Run ./configure
# - Optionally, run menuselect to disable modules
# - run make
#
# Make install will install in /usr/local now.
#
# I have not tried with the FreeBSD zaptel though, that may need
# something, but I hope it should not.
#
# /O

All,

I've been using SVN trunk prior to the 1.4 branch, and now the
1.4 branch on FreeBSD 6.{0,1,2} RELEASEs, RCs, BETAs, STABLEs,
etc for some time now.  It works great except for one problem;

zaptel is hosed.

The reason for this, iirc, is that just prior to the 1.4 branch
point, zaptel and chan_zap were changed in a few major ways
relating to codecs(I think?), and zaptel-bsd does not work at
all with this in mind.

I've tried for the asterisk 1.4-beta/libpri/zaptel installation
a few times with no actual results.  It just doesn't work, from
what I can tell.  I believe the zaptel-bsd port needs a sync from
the digium svn repository specifically to make it so.

At this point, I've been using 1.2 or a linux-based gateway, of
which neither are preferred.

Keep in mind -- 1.4 works GREAT on freebsd, better than ever..
just not with zaptel.

It does install to /usr/local correctly as well.  Good job, guys!

Hope this at least answers a question or so.

-- Jonathan Towne