[Asterisk-bsd] libpri and zaptel 1.4

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 14:42:13 MST 2006

I don't have any hints on when it will be ready...but
as probably one of the most impatient users around...I
went ahead and built a new test box to try out
*-1.4.0-beta3. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would
be. Here is what I found out...and remember, I'm not
very good an editing makefiles...so I didn't

1. You can install the libpri 1.4 from digium's
website. It installed using a standard ./configure ;
make ; make install.

2. Zaptel was a different story. It wants to find the
sources for FreeBSD and I don't have the foggiest clue
as to how that's done. So I just used the standard
port and let it install the zaptel-1.0 version.

3. A few days ago as I watched a build of *-1.2.13
proceed I made a note of all the dependencies needed.
So I just went through this list one at a time doing a
pkg_add -r and skipped over the ones that I saw were
installed as part of other packages. There is a total
of 28 dependencies for an * build.

4. Then I unzipped and untarred the newest beta3
version of * and did a usual ./configure ; gmake ;
gmake install ; gmake samples. And what do you
know...it worked. At least well enough that I could
get my previous conf files and IP phone working with
it.

5. Asterisk-addons will not install with this method.
I tried using the new beta file and that failed then I
tried the current FBSD port. It got past the
mysql50-client stuff but then choked on the format_mp3
gizmo. The moh works well without the add-ons using
the gsm files that come with * but when I tried to use
some of my mp3 collection it got rather choppy. Not
too bad but bad enough not to be worth the effort.

So like you, I will be waiting to see what becomes of
the latest port for *. If anyone has a work-around for
the add-ons, please let me know. I still haven't
installed the gui, which is what this whole test
exercise is about anyway. But that will come next. I
have to teach myself the svn method as that appears to
be the only way the gui is available.