[Asterisk-bsd] Asterisk Mashine Reboots itself.

Chad Leigh -- Pengar Enterprises Inc chad at pengar.com
Mon May 29 08:53:45 MST 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Phillip Neumann wrote:

> Hello.
>

> Just want to ask, if anyone has experience the same problem as me. I
> have a Digium TE110P connected to a E1 card, on a FreeBSD 6.1-
> STABLE P4
> mashine.
> i have latest asterisk and zaptel from ports.
>
> Sometimes, the mashine just reboots, there is no output in the log
> files. it is rebooting like ones in 2 days.
>
> anyone has seen this before?
> can it be the bsd drivers?
> how could i debug the error, and see what is triggering the reboot??

These sorts of things are usually but not always HW issues, like bad
RAM etc.  Reboots are not usually heat, which will usually cause a
lockup.  It could also be a low level kernel bug.  If you happen to
see the console when it happens you may see something like "page
fault in kernel mode" type errors.  If you can trap the console
output, say out a serial port to another machine, that would help.
The other thing is to set up a dump file so that if the machine bug
checks and reboots itself, it writes out memory to the swap file and
then to a special dump file on reboot so that you can do a post
mortem with the debugger on the dump file when it comes back up.  To
do this you have to have a swap file at least as big as your RAM.
See the FreeBSD handbook for details on how to set this up

Chad