[Asterisk-bsd] mpg123 and asterisk port

Thomas Sandford thomas at paradisegreen.co.uk
Thu May 25 08:43:11 MST 2006

"Vahan Yerkanian" <vahan at arminco.com> wrote:
> Thomas Sandford wrote:
>> I think (since Linux Asterisk is set up for this) the FreeBSD Asterisk
>> port should be set up to play MoH "out of the box".
>>
>> This means either
>>
>> 1) putting mpg123 as a dependency...
>> 2) putting madplay as a dependency...
>> 3) having neither, and patching moh.conf and converting default file(s)
>> to native format as part of the installation process.
>>
>> Personally I'm inclined towards 2 as the middle ground...
>
> So while the asterisk can playback mp3 files using native format mode,
> without using mpg123 or madplay, you're still inclined towards installing
> an extra port/program?

It can? I thought it could only play GSM/WAV files. If it can play mp3 files
directly, unassisted, then option 3 changes to:
3) having neither, and patching moh.conf to specifiy this as the default MOH
mode.
[and becomes my 1st preference].

If files have to be converted (by a separate process) from mp3 _into_ native
mode (which was, ISTR, my understanding of the docs) then since this
"separate process" would need to be a build dependency - or we'd need to
lose "out-of-the-box" MOH support - there'd be no real win from dropping
madplay/mpg123 from the run dependencies.

Actually probably the best thing would be to provide some build options for
the port so that you can specifiy with/without madplay/mpg123 and make
everyone happy :-).

--
Thomas Sandford