[Asterisk-bsd] mpg123 and asterisk port

Thomas Sandford thomas at paradisegreen.co.uk
Thu May 25 04:42:04 MST 2006

"Dinesh Nair" <dinesh at alphaque.com> wrote:
> On 05/24/06 16:09 Arne Steinkamm said the following:
>> We should replace the dependency to mpg123 with madplay to be on the very
>> safe
>> side.
>> madplay has none of the problems of mpg123 and works flawless here.
>
> i think that we should remove all dependencies to mpg123 or madplay
> altogether since asterisk MoH has been able to read native formats for
> quite a while already. is there really any reason to have an external
> process do this ?

I think (since Linux Asterisk is set up for this) the FreeBSD Asterisk port
should be set up to play MoH "out of the box".

This means either

1) putting mpg123 as a dependency (with all the disadvantages that entails /
submitting the recently posted patch to the mpg123 port)

2) putting madplay as a dependency, and patching the moh.conf file on
installation

3) having neither, and patching moh.conf and converting default file(s) to
native format as part of the installation process.

Personally I'm inclined towards 2 as the middle ground...

--
Thomas Sandford