[Asterisk-bsd] Real usefullness of mpg123 dependency / rxfax note

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Thu Feb 23 08:54:39 MST 2006

Greetings folks,

I'd like to inquiry on how many of you are using the mpg123 on your
FreeBSD Asterisk installations and how useful you think this dependency
for the Asterisk port is? Personally for me, leaving MoH as it is per
out-of-ports install causes mpg123 processes eat CPU 100% under FreeBSD
6.0... I've switched to native format MoH since 1.1 and haven't looked
back for mpg123. Was wondering if we really want to have it installed as
a dependency at all for the /usr/ports/net/asterisk. At least having a
WITHOUT_MPG123 switch in the makefile could help us keep our port list
as minimal as possible.

What's your opinion?

As a non-related side note, I just succeeded in receiving a multipage
fax over g711(alaw) / 9600 fax passthru connection (non-T38) from a
panasonic fax machine using rxfax/spandsp installed via current asterisk
port. Both adapter and the * server were on a dedicated CIDR LAN subnet.

Best regards,
Vahan