[Asterisk-bsd] Freesh Install -new user

Graham Menhennitt gmenhennitt at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 30 00:03:52 MST 2006

Rob Ghabel wrote:
> I'm looking for any suggestions on resolving a:
> Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Broken pipe
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 6 and csup'd the ports.  Then installed Asterisk
> through the FreeBSD ports.
> I only have a NIC and USB card in the server.  I have only half way
> read through the Asterisk manual, but it seems as though I shouldn't
> need a Digium card or a sound card to get Asterisk up and running.  I
> have minimal modifications to the initial installation.  So, if there
> is something that I needed to configure prior to starting up, I
> probably missed it.
> Currently installed is:  FreeBSD6; Kernel Source; Ports: Zaptel &
> Asterisk-1.24.
> I'm attempting a proof of concept, and I feel like I'm failing miserably.
Rob,

I don't have a fix for your problem. But I suggest that you try the
following. I'm running Asterisk without any Digium/Zaptel hardware under
FreeBSD 6.1-RC1 very successfully.

Firstly, I'd try using Asterisk 1.2.7.1 that the port was recently
upgraded to. Use cvsup to upgrade your ports tree and then try building
it again.

Then, assuming that you're not using Zaptel (you say you don't have a
Digium card), fax, H323, or ODBC, it use the command:
    make -DWITHOUT_H323 -DWITHOUT_FAX -DWITHOUT_ZAPTEL -DWITHOUT_ODBC
install
to build and install the port.

Finally, get rid of a lot of unused stuff by changing your Asterisk
modules.conf file to look like:

[modules]
autoload=yes

noload => pbx_gtkconsole.so
noload => pbx_kdeconsole.so
noload => app_intercom.so
noload => chan_modem.so
noload => chan_modem_aopen.so
noload => chan_modem_bestdata.so
noload => chan_modem_i4l.so
load => res_musiconhold.so
noload => chan_alsa.so
noload => chan_oss.so
noload => chan_skinny.so
noload => pbx_dundi.so
noload => chan_h323.so
noload => chan_zap.so
noload => app_curl.so

[global]

Then you'll have a much simpler system to debug.

Good luck,
    Graham