[Asterisk-bsd] FBSD port: Hard lockup of machine at exit/restart of asterisk

Kim Culhan w8hdkim at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 08:55:04 CST 2005

On Fri, March 18, 2005 9:54 pm, Tom Samplonius said:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:10:23 -0800 (PST), Kim Culhan
> <w8hdkim at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu Mar 17 17:19:15 CST 2005 Mark Radabaugh wrote:
>>

>>> And in the list of things not to do:   The FreeBSD port somewhere
>>> misses rewriting /var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3
>>> to /usr/local/share/asterisk/mohmp3. Attempting to fix it using
>>> the truly lazy method of simply creating
>>> the /var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3 directory and copying the files over
>>> results in a hard lockup of the box when trying to exit/restart
>>> asterisk.
>>
>> Does anyone have a modification to the port which fixes this?
>>

> I don't you need to.  Just update the musiconhold.conf file to
point
> to the correct directory.
>
> As far as the "hard lock" goes, the original problem description
> doesn't give much details.  It is well known that mpg123 does like
> to exit by itself, and usually needs a "kill -9", and asterisk
> will sit around waiting for mpg123 to exit.

> If running asterisk with "-cvvvv", you simply CTRL-C asterisk to
> force it to quit without waiting for mpg123.

> But definitely not anything I would call a "hard lock".

There appear to be various circumstances including [mis]configuration
of * which result in FBSD hanging, requiring a hard reset.

With a fair bit of experience with FBSD running 'typical' server type
userland applications, this is quite a surprise when a malfunction
results in a total 'hang' where even the console in unresponsive.

Sound drivers in the kernel are something I haven't had much
experience with.

Thanks for the word on the musiconhold.conf example, its greatly
appreciated.

After about a week playing with * on FBSD a simple configuration
with a Digium TDM-400 card and 1 each fxo and fks modules has a bit
of a learning curve associated with it.

Googling all over the net finds many examples of configuration
but very few in the form of a quick start example using the above
hardware.

I'll be glad to write such a thing if I can get things
running smoothly enough to be able to claim its a relatively
trouble-free setup..

-kim