[Asterisk-bsd] FreeBSD Port maintainer still maintaining port?

Dr. Rich Murphey Rich at WhiteOakLabs.com
Tue Jan 4 19:23:52 CST 2005

Andrew Foster wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:59:07 -0500, Zeno Lee <zeno_lee at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone contacted the FreeBSD port maintainer for various issues?
>>
>>For example, the current port is stuck at 1.0.2
>>
>>People using *bsd on #asterisk (freenode) have manually compiled 1.0.3 and
>>are using it.
>>

>On a similar topic, whilst it is possible to build and use Asterisk
>without the port, it would be useful to  to add an asterisk-head port,
>allowing the src to be retrieved by cvs from -head, and built, rather
>than necessarily having to use integration milestones.
>
>Andrew

Excellent question.  I can't find any FreeBSD ports that grab a cvs-head
rather than a snapshot archive. --  Perhaps because it's necessary to
freeze changes for the sake of finishing each release.

I think that focusing on FreeBSD support in asterisk-current would
enhance the quality of the FreeBSD support, because it increases the
visibility of the impact of design changes, interface changes etc.
Still, the motivation to consider these is naturally tempered by many
other priorities, especially given the size of the Linux market and
existing customer base on Linux.

Regardless of what our individual priorities are, there is a difficult
balancing act performed by the asterisk bug meisters in fostering
quality of the various ports.  Closer collaboration with the asterisk
bug meisters is the key, I believe.  I wonder, what, if anything, they
or the various FreeBSD people would envision that isn't being done?

Cheers,
Rich