[Asterisk-bsd] Asterisk status on FreeBSD 5.3?

Tom Samplonius tom.samplonius at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 00:54:29 CST 2005

  I'm running Asterisk 1.0.5 on FreeBSD 5.3, and I'm interested in the
status of Asterisk development on FreeBSD.

1.  "stop now" problem.  Asterisk 1.0.5 will never stop properly when
run as "-vvvc".  It appears that mpg123 starts using 100% of the CPU
time, and if mpg123 is "kill -9"ed, asterisk will stop.  Appears to be
a mpg123 bug, perhaps a signal handling issue?  mpg123 is rather old,
so that isn't surprising.  Asterisk will sometimes stop properly if
run as a daemon, but usually mpg123 screws up.  Running without MOH
seems to fix the problem.  Has anyone looked into mgp123?

2.  zaptel issue.  I see this on the mailing list, though I don't have
a zaptel card (yet), so it doesn't affect me.  But if I did have a
zaptel card, could use it as a timing source for MeetMe conferences?

3.  "extensions reload" and "sip reload" commands don't always load
changed config, even though they say they are.  It is weird.  I can
add new sip users, and a "sip reload" will work, but changes to
existing users (ex. codec selection), usually don't work.  Is this
FreeBSD specific?  I don't see anything in the archives about this.

4.  g.729 codec.  The "free" g729 IPP based codec FreeBSD binary does
seem to work well.  However, if Asterisk remains in the media path,
Asterisk logs a notice about an extra frame for every RTP packet.  I
think this is a bit silly, as it appears to be a harmless protocol
issue (some gateways add an extra frame with g729 VAD).  I'm not sure
if it is FreeBSD related?

5.  When the g.729 codec is loaded, and is the preferred coded
("disallow=all, allow=g729, allow=ulaw" in global section), but a
gateway insists on using ulaw only, Asterisk dumps core with a bus
error.  This is really weird.  If the codec libary is not loaded,
everything is fine.  Anyone else see this?

6.  FreeBSD port.  The FreeBSD port is based on 1.0.3 (still).
Asterisk 1.0.5 was relatively easy to build, but I notice that the
port has a lot of patches.  Does anyone (besides Maxim, who apparently
wrote them) know what the patches are for?  There are all sorts of
things patched, including a rather large patch to chan_sip.c, which
appears to be a bug fix.  I can't figure out what the patch to rtp.c
is for.  I wonder if it is better to continue to use the port, since
it might be "better" in some way.

Tom