[Asterisk-bsd] Kim Culhan's FreeBSD 6.0 STABLE asterisk install notes

Gil Kloepfer astr-bsd at kloepfer.org
Sun Dec 4 22:19:46 CST 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 10:25:17PM -0500, William Lloyd wrote:
> You could contribute to update the port.  It doesn;t happen magically.

I realize this is a little off topic but I couldn't help but respond
to this.

I have submitted three items to FreeBSD -- two are NIS-related bugfixes
(kern/26486, bin/64445) and one is an enhancement to atacontrol
(complete with the manpage update, bin/81692).  They've been completely
ignored.  The NIS-related problems were critical to the FreeBSD systems
I've deployed where I work.

I guess the bottom line is that to do work that seems to go into a
black hole is not much of a motivator to do more.  I was actually
considering redoing the Asterisk port so that there were options
that could be selected (and end up in /var/db/ports) that make it
so that ALL of Asterisk doesn't need to be built (and, thus, doesn't
need prerequisites for things I will never use).  It just didn't
seem to be worth the effort.

I have been a FreeBSD evangelist for over 10 years.  Unfortunately
these kinds of experiences may change that feeling.

---
Gil Kloepfer
astr-bsd at kloepfer.org