[Asterisk-bsd] voicemail messages in wav format unintelligible

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Mon Apr 4 18:39:46 CDT 2005

On Sunday 03 April 2005 08:17 am, Kim Culhan wrote:
> Running FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE from 3-26-05 and * CVS HEAD
> from 4-2-05.
>
> Audio sounds like hiss with a trace of speech artifacts.
>
> >From voicemail.conf:
>
> [general]
>
> format=wav
>
> Any solution or workaround is greatly appreciated.
>
> -kim
>
> --
> w8hdkim at yahoo.com

The WAV codec used in this instance is gsm (compressed).  Some .wav
players assume that all .wav files are pcm encoded.

eg: Vonage sends me:

05-11-2004-19-43-.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft
PCM, 16 bit, mono 8000 Hz

But asterisk sends me:

msg0000.wav:   RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, GSM 6.10, mono
8000 Hz

I haven't looked at the voicemail.conf settings to see if this is
configurable.  I know that inside the voicemail spool area the raw pcm
files were still there for me.

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com