[Asterisk-bsd] Status on *BSD, particularly NetBSD?

Jeff Rizzo riz+asterisk at boogers.sf.ca.us
Thu Oct 14 13:07:15 CDT 2004

I'm coming into this as a relative newbie on asterisk, having been
playing around with it seriously for about a week.  I'm using the cvs
HEAD from about that time, with the patch that Tom Ivar Helbemekko
posted to this list a few days ago, and things seem to be working
relatively well with an all-SIP configuration on NetBSD-2.0_RC4.  I'm
convinced that asterisk is a solid piece of software, and I want to go
ahead with plans to use it both in my business and at home.

My preferred platform is NetBSD;  a second choice would be FreeBSD, but
I'm willing (if not anywhere near eager) to run Linux if it's
necessary.  I am going to need to integrate with the PSTN using both FXS
and FXO ports, and will also need to run IAX2 and meetme. From
everything I've read over the last week, the Wildcard boards seem to be
the best bet, but there's some confusion about the state of BSD
support.  This leads me to a few questions:

1)  Are any of the zaptel drivers being ported to NetBSD?  Am I correct
in assuming that even if I don't need Zaptel hardware, I'd need to use
the "ztdummy" driver for the hardware timers necessary for IAX2 and meetme?

2)  Do the zaptel drivers which have been ported to FreeBSD support the
TDM400P?  Since I need 1 FXO and 1 FXS port in a 1U form factor, this
card is my best bet... (plus, I've already ordered one for testing!  :)
Preferably also support the TDM400P in the cvs HEAD of the asterisk
code, since that's what I've started using already...

3)  If there is _not_ already an effort underway to port the zaptel
drivers to NetBSD, can anyone suggest a place to start?  I would assume
starting with the FreeBSD code is best, but it's kind of hard to tell
even what the current state of affairs with that code is.

Thanks for all the effort!

+j