[Asterisk-bsd] Question about Connectivity to Option 11 Nortel Switch from Asteric Server

Victor Bratsev asterisk-bsd@lists.digium.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:22:57 +0400

Hi, Sankar.

I know a little about the Nortel switch but I suggest that it is not better
or worst than Avaya Definity switch which I knew good enough - and if it
would be the Definity I'd do that way:
First, you should check if you have any unused interfaces (ports) in your
switch (Nortel). If not you should install any additional boards in switch
(ask your supplyer who provide you with Nortel 11C).
Then you need to deside what type of service you need. In case of Definity
and dialogic it can be analog, DCP and ISDN connectivity. Dialogic support
nearly all proprietary DCP (digital communication protocol - used to connect
digital <also known as system> telephones to switch) protocols, Definity and
Nortel Meridian between them:).

Using analog lines/boards you can receive calls, place calls, transfer,
conference (3 party), as you can barge-in and supervise a call is going
(talk or listen/record). Some (may be all) switches support caller-id on
analog lines so you can get calling number.
Using DCP lines you can all that plus some extentions dependent on switch.
(in case of definity it is enhanced conference fo 6 party and so on). Using
DCP you always can get calling-number and name (if switch is administered to
provide it) and any additional info about call - if call is direct,
transferred, conferenced and so on.
Using ISDN you can all that plus :)

And again in case of definity you can connect switch (definity) and Asterisk
with ip-trunks. So in case of Nortel I think it is also possible - you
should ask your supplyer about it.

I DON'T TRY TO PROMOTE DIALOGIC - I just make an example because I've got
some experience with it. Anyway - Dialogic drivers exists (for charge) on
Asterisk.
In case of digium (again - for example) you at least can connect to analog
and ISDN - i don't know about support of proprietary DCP lines on digium
boards.