[Asterisk-bsd] NetBSD port of zaptel drivers - feedback and help sought.

Jeff Rizzo riz+asterisk at boogers.sf.ca.us
Thu Dec 9 22:54:58 CST 2004

OK, so I've been working on porting the FreeBSD port of the Linux zaptel
drivers to NetBSD for a month, maybe six weeks, and I've had some
success, but I've also been busy enough lately that I haven't had the
all-day hacking sessions that I will probably need to make more progress
on the problems I'm having, so I'd like to get some other eyes on this code.

Here's the state of things now:  I have zaptel, ztdummy and wcfxs
compiling.  (the only board I have is a TDM400P, so the others aren't
high on my priority list right now, but I would like to take a crack at
them when I get wcfxs working)  ztdummy seems to work (at least zttest
runs and produces useful output, but the timing seems _bad_. I'm
certainly not an expert, though), and zaptel provides the basic
services, but wcfxs is _not_ working - when loaded as an LKM, it crashes
the machine, and when compiled statically into a kernel, it both doesn't
actually work, and also seems to cause timeouts on my network card. (too
long in the interrupt routine, I should think)

Since I was a relative kernel newbie when I took this on (still am, but
_much_ less so), I rewrote a lot of the wcfxs code to help me learn what
it was doing better.  That got me pretty far, but I suspect that to
complete the picture I have to get rid of the use of vtophys() and make
better use of bus_space(9) and bus_dma(9), but I'm having some trouble,

Anyway, if anyone wishes to look at the code I've got so far, it can be
retrieved by either FTP or HTTP:

ftp://ftp.redcrowgroup.com/pub/netbsd/zaptel/zaptel-20041209.tar.bz2
http://www.tastylime.net/netbsd/zaptel/zaptel-20041209.tar.bz2

Please look it over and feel free to send me comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  Keep in mind that it's not actually _working_, but I have
done a fair amount to get something that actually compiles, and it's
just bug squashing from here out.  ("Just", he says...)  I'm tracking my
work in a private subversion repository, and I hope to be able to
produce patches against the FreeBSD tree which will compile on either
system.

Thanks,
+j