[asterisk-biz] SIP RFC argument needed to refute vendor equipment behavior

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Jun 18 16:25:12 CDT 2012

On 06/18/2012 03:59 PM, Nathan Shadle wrote:
> I definitely agree that it would be more appropriate to put the endpoint in
> inactive or recvonly, but don't agree that the monitoring tools should be
> able to "tolerate" this. They are doing their job reporting missing packets
> when they see an RTP sequence number gap. The only purpose for this sequence
> number is specifically to order and detect packets that are missing or
> out-of-ordered, no?

Yes, that is its purpose, and these packets are indeed 'missing',
because the media server did not send any audio covering the time period
in question. It would be far worse if it began sending audio after the
1s quiet period and the sequence numbers/timestamps resumed right where
they left off before; that would cause the RTP playout on the receiving
endpoints to be 1s behind the incoming media stream, since they played
silence for 1s and are now receiving audio that claims to cover the same
time range.

--
Kevin P. Fleming